Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Corn Dogs!

Mmm...Hotdogs, covered in a yummy, sweet cornflour batter and fried to perfection. I was introduced to my first corn dog pretty recently and both my sister and I love them. So today I decided to look for a recipe and try making them at home...It was a total mess! The batter was too low in the bowl so we had to use a spoon to cover the corn dogs properly. Then when I tried to fry them the batter would pool to the bottom of the hot dog and leave the top nearly empty! The taste was perfect though!

Here's a picture of one of the more held-together ones:



It took less than half an hour to make and used so few ingredients that I think, with a bit more practice, It'll be a favorite at home :)

Here's the recipe for anyone who's interested:

Ingredients
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup white sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 quart vegetable oil for frying
2 (16 ounce) packages beef frankfurters
16 wooden skewers

Directions
1. In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper, sugar and baking powder. Stir in eggs and milk.
2. Preheat oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat. Insert wooden skewers into frankfurters. Roll frankfurters in batter until well coated.
3. Fry 2 or 3 corn dogs at a time until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

I'd advise using mini hotdogs, they'll be easier to coat as well as fry, My frying pan could only hold two dogs at a time and even then it was pretty hard to flip them. Also, and I'm not sure if this would work, but you could fry the coated dogs before adding the skewer, because my skewers were being fried along with the corn dogs and turned black and oily :( Oh well, experience for next time i suppose.

Ever yours ~

The Know-it-all

No comments:

Post a Comment